Wednesday, February 26, 2014

I joined instagram last night

And I'm not sure yet how I feel about it.  I wouldn't call myself social media resistant, but I have been hesitant about signing up to every new thing.  Besides, instagram was, for so long, only an iphone thing.  When I finally got a smart phone (after moving to HK), I went the android route.  At that point, instagram for android was still a new thing.  But now, nearly three years, I'm there.

I went to a talk at my university last night about hashtag marketing, and I did find it interesting.  I would like to know more about the numbers behind hashtag marketing though.  Given that I'm more interested in the research side of things, it makes sense that I want to know the numbers.  The guy giving the talk did say that hashtags haven't really taken off here yet, but companies are just now beginning to push it.

Since hashtags have a bad rep for being obnoxious, we'll see how it goes here.  Will we get some hilarious Chinglish or otherwise badly thought out hashtags?  I hope so, because it's all a learning process for local companies.  It's not like the west does it perfectly either.  Google will give you all sorts of amusing articles about how not to hashtag.

For me, maybe instagram will get me to start capturing the weird and wonderful again.  Living in Hong Kong has normalised.  Time to start finding the wonder again, I think!

No comments:

Post a Comment